The Bureau of Misinformation is Black Rock City’s leading source of radical ridiculosity, ambiguity, and factual inconsistency.
Every year, thousands of virgin Burners take their first dusty steps into Black Rock city. At the Bureau of Misinformation, we aim to provide Black Rock City with a place where all burners can come to ask questions about Burning Man and beyond. But don’t expect to get helpful answers from us, we will mostly be providing fun, witty, weird, and downright ridiculous Misinformation to participants and Playasapiens while offering them drinks at our Answer Bar.
Passersby will be welcomed in by signage, friendly camp participants, and obnoxious megaphone hecklers, and they will be prompted to ask any questions they might have. We’ll answer their question with our unique brand of bullshit, then offer them a drink to drown their sorrows. They’ll also have a chance to relax at the bar or at the adjacent open, public shaded area with plenty of seating, an airbrush artist, fun games (our giant jenga is always a hit!), and chillout space.
We send people on wild goose-chases, announce that the tide is coming in and they have to head for higher ground, and tell them that Yanni is doing a new collaboration with Danger Mouse, and they are playing a secret 4AM set at Center Camp.
And you have a chance to be a part of this experience by joining our camp!
Here is a little breakdown of what we have planned:
- We have a BIG, open shade structure with plenty of room for seating, partying, and interacting with people walking by.
- There will be space for chilling out, playing games (Giant Jenga, Topless Twister, etc.).
- Air Brush! Yes, Mickey, the famous air brush body paint artist is back again!
- The Answer Bar – a nice big, semi-circular bar where people can come ask questions, get answers/witty misinformation, and get drinks.
- The Misinformation Booth – This year, we’ll have a separate misinformation booth right at the front of the camp.
- Burn Barrel – Fire!
- We will have a generator for electric lights at night, some music all day, and a camera charging station for all your photogs. We are also looking into using solar. We have access to a couple generators, but if you have one to contribute, let us know!
- Kitchen and Lounge – This will be a place to cook, find snacks, chill out, and escape the dust and the madness – camp members only.
- Bike Racks – BRC is a biking city, so you’ll need a bike – and you’ll need a place to lock it up – we’ve got you covered – private Bureau-only racks in the camping area, and public racks in the bar for your friends.
- Shower – getting weird and dirty in the desert is all well and good, but it’s nice to have a shower once in a while. We’ll have a little camp shower set up, with an evaporation pool so that none of your filth and soap pollutes the playa. Eco Friendly, baby!
- We also be placing misinformative “You are here” signs all over the Playa, as an experimental art project.
- Plenty of other cool things are in the works, and we will be sure to keep you posted!